Thursday, March 28, 2013

Busy week

Wow....this week has been Insane with a capital I.  And unfortunately not the kind of Insanity with Mr. Hotness himself, Shaun T.

The early part of the week was planned out to be smooth and organized....until we got a random spring snow storm that dumped 3-4 inches of snow on Baltimore in one foul swoop on Monday morning....then was melted by the next day in a soupy mess.  Tuesday I had so much going on all day- lots of appointments and errands, and tons of work on top of it to prepare for two big, back to back workshops on Wednesday and Thursday.

Luckily, the most important thing that needed to happen before we moved in, did- we got the air ducts and carpets cleaned!  Although it is done, it didn't go as smoothly as I was expecting.  As the tech walked through the house with me to inspect the vents and carpets he noticed one thing throughout- MOLD.



Yeah, just hearing that word set me into a panic in record time.  He pointed out mold all around the air conditioner unit, which is an air duct system.  He explained how since it was at the entrance, it was throughout all the air ducts and could be contributing to the stale smell.  Fanfreakingtastic!   Then he also pointed out some stains on the carpet throughout the house that looked suspiciously like mold.  He wasn't certain, but explained that if the stains did not come out, then it was in fact mold.  The more he walked through the house and inspected the carpets to decide on chemicals and scrubbing, the more I heard dollar signs.  What I thought would be a $200 visit quickly because over $800!!  But, he said he could guarantee that the smell would be gone with the microbial chemicals he recommended in the air ducts.  I know it might seem like madness, but having that assurance that the smell would be gone was worth the extra money in my mind.  And then, he finished and I came back to inspect it.....and it smelled so clean! Like a new, freshly cleaned house!!  The real test will be tomorrow when we go back and smell it after the carpets have dried and the chemicals are aired out a bit.


So, having that completed, yesterday and today I co-facilitated an 8 hour workshop each day with a colleague of mine from Virginia.  If that sounds exhausting to you- I assure you, it is!  That much time not just on your feet and teaching, but being on point is taxing on your body physically and mentally.  My boss was there for my session today, after having flown in from Portland, OR!  This added some extra pressure to perform to the best of my ability, but I feel fortunate that I have a good relationship with her already.  We connected last night after my first workshop.  What I thought was going to be just a quick dinner after the workshop, turned into getting manicures then having a leisurely dinner and walking around the Arundel Mills mall. Yeah, I didn't get home till after 10:15pm!!! And I had left the house at 8:30am that morning.  Long day!  I wasn't expecting to be out so late, so I had planned on working out after dinner with her, which obviously wasn't an option that late.  Having said that, it is rare that you get to spend that much one on one time with your line manager, especially in such a casual setting, so I jumped at the opportunity and really enjoyed myself. I had fun!

Today was the big session in my main market, with the teams that I've been working with for the past 3 years.  I DOMINATED it!  I received some very helpful constructive feedback and some incredibly uplifting positive feedback about my facilitation skills.  I'm really proud of myself for doing my best today and showing my boss one of my true strengths of a job I love. I LOVE facilitating.  I get a high from doing it well, and really enjoy seeing others get that "light bulb moment" when something really clicks.  :)  It feels good!



After tearing everything down from the workshops, and hoarding some more boxes that we could use to pack, I took my boss to the inner harbor and we had a delicious, truly Baltimore dinner- at Phillip's.  It was delicious food, good company, and I managed to get home a little earlier- 8:30pm.  I had my workout clothes in my car again, but I was having trouble staying awake long enough to drive safely home so opted to get home asap and give my exhausted body a break.  Although I feel weird having skipped two workouts in a row, and unplanned to boot, it was a rare situation and I will kick my butt tomorrow- no doubt.  I'm thinking a run, some elliptical, and legs and abs strength training.  Good times indeedy :)


So, with that I bid adieu because tomorrow I have so much work to do after my big workshop and then, we have to finish....packing!!  And somehow I WILL fit in a long and killer workout in there.  I can't believe we are moving on Saturday!!  Excited and nervous, but so ready to move into our new home!


What tips and tricks do you use while moving to make the day run smoothly?

6 comments:

  1. Makes me want to dress up in a light bulb suit and RAH RAH while we're moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have no advice for you! I moved into a dorm room from home, moved back and then moved into the house I helped Charlie pick out in '92, so I've never moved more than a bedroom full of crap! So, if I ever move, you'll have some advice for ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually moved several times- even once across the country (to SD) and then back! So, I guess I am already pretty experienced, but I am always open to new ideas, too ;)

      Delete
  3. Have lunch brought in for the movers (if you are having it done). They won't take as long of a break and they will be more careful with your stuff. Have a tip ready too. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are feeding the help- our friends! Good advice, thanks Tina!

      Delete