Monday, December 17, 2012

Turn of events

I've been pretty much tearing it up the past couple weeks, as my last post indicated.  I continued to do so with a great elliptical workout on Thursday at the hotel gym.  I wanted to run as well but both treadmills were broken.  No bueno, hotel gym. 

Friday was a tough day....after hearing about the tragedy of the CT school massacre I really struggled to get into a mindset for a workout.  Like so many others, I felt like my heart was broken hearing about the tragedy of so many innocents losing their lives.  I hugged my husband and kitty extra tight when I got home, so grateful that those I love were safe.   My thoughts and prayers are with all those directly affecting by such an atrocity.

I eventually willed my unwilling heart to take a back seat to my need to get some relief in the form of a killer workout- Shaun T style.  I picked my favorite in hope that it would get me going.  I struggled through the first 3 minutes and almost turned it off, but once I decided to go past the first 1/3 of the warmup I was pulled into the sheer cardiac joy that is Insanity Pure Cardio.  There isn't much that I love more than working to my cardio threshold.  It just feels so good!

Saturday I killed it in another great spin class with Joe then after cooling down a little bit with some walking around the upstairs track, I did 10 solid minutes- aka a MILE on the treadmill in my Merrell's.  It felt great!

And then....Saturday afternoon....this happened....


This was after 20 minutes or so of icing pretty much immediately after it happened.  The long and short of it is- my big, beautiful, baby of a horse Indy Heir stepped right on the top of my foot.  It was the most excruciating and long lasting pain I can remember since I broke my rib falling off Tomecca.   This was actually more sharp because it was so pinpointed on one spot for so long.  When it initially happened I was in such shock that I pushed him away and nearly collapsed directly on the ground.  I somehow managed to keep my wits about me for the 30 seconds or so it took for me to move away from him and stumble painfully to the door of the stall.  My mom was there right away and helped me hobble over to the hay stack where I could sit down.  And that's where my hysterical sobbing and ugly tears commenced.  I saw Indy leaning his head over the stall door and breathing deeply towards me and trying to figure out what was going on, but I was in too much pain to reassure him. 

Mom helped me hobble back to the house- the whole time scolding me for not leaning on her at all.  Bonus of all my hard work- I can very effectively hop on one leg across the backyard even while cursing in pain under my breath.  Or perhaps cursing quite loudly at times... I elevated my leg and iced it until I stopped sniffling then finally took off my compression sock to survey the damage.  The great news was that I could wiggle my toes already so I had hopes that nothing was broken.  We went to Newark ER to get it x-rayed just to be sure- and we were correct- no breaks! PHEW!  I am very lucky it wasn't broken!

Foot now

The bruise has since grown considerably to cover over half my foot and change different colors as bruises do.  I have been diligent in utilizing the old R.I.C.E. rule:  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  The doctor said elevation was the most important as well as icing so I have been doing both with ardent care.  I've also been wearing a light compression ace bandage which seems pointless but that's what the doctor said. 

Please don't missunderstand- I'm grateful that my foot isn't broken. It could be SO much worse. BUT THIS SUCKS!  It feels like every time I am in a really good groove something happens to derail me.  But I will keep going, because that's my only choice.  I love this life I have created for myself through hard work and dedication and I'm not about to let it slip away because I have a road block slammed in front of me.  I may have been set back again, but I will find the silver lining in this and come out stronger on the other side.... when I can walk without a limp

I will press on!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the fates didn't give you any problems for the first year-and-a-half :-)