Thursday, August 29, 2013

Life without use of my left arm....

Hasn't been the end of the world thus far, I'm happy to report!

Photo: Home safe from surgery! Thanks for all the prayers and love, it meant a lot! Major thanks to Charlotte Eggink for staying with me through all the waiting and taking me home safely. Love you!
Home safe thanks to mom! Feeling a bit dizzy here

As to be expected, the first 24 hours after the surgery were pretty dreadful.  What I do know for sure is that when I woke up my pain was somewhere over a 10 on the 0-10 pain scale.  It was BAD.  I literally just lay there trying to breathe deeply through it like the nurses were coaching me as they kept adding more IV pain meds till I got down to a 7 on the pain scale.  Apparently, I wasn't breathing deeply enough which kept resulting in me drifting into a drug induced haze.  Umm...so I apparently took a little longer in recovery than my first surgery, but luckily I didn't have any complications.  The first night of sleep was terrible- I maybe got 2 hrs before the pain meds wore off and I woke up in crazy pain and eventually had to take some at 2:45 am.  Luckily last night I got pretty decent sleep, what a relief!

Great surprise- after the first 4 hours or so, I haven't been nearly as nauseous as the first 24 hrs after my first surgery.  I was taking the anti-nausea medicine as frequently as possible in January, which has the double wammy side effect of making you SUPER drowsy. You are already taking pain medicine every 4 hours like clockwork, which makes you drowsy, but this added medication makes you feel like you are barely able to keep your eyes open without tooth picks.  We are talking out of control tired, people!  Which is great right before bed, but not when you have to function on any normal level.

Ding can get away with it easier!
Luckily, Dr. Ding has come back to keep me company during my recovery.

See, I'm icing my arm, Dr. Ding!
In similar news, my coworkers are totally awesome!! Look what was delivered yesterday!

Edible arrangements from the LM team!
So my mom helped me take some thank you pictures and Ding really wanted to help....

Ding loves melon!
This morning I had to disassemble the beautiful arrangement so it can be all nicely stored in air tight containers.  Look at all that yummy fruit!!

Colorful!

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and prayers! I appreciate the love and support!

3 comments: