Thursday, October 4, 2012

O foam roller

Want a fast way to make a kitten act like an idiot?


exhibit A
O such an innocent little thing, the foam roller- it is like a medieval torture device and my best friend rolled into one.  It hurts so good and I needed it badly on Tuesday after my work meeting.  The meeting went pretty well but I was in heels all day and my legs were complaining about it by the end.

I gotta say...I've been enjoying physical therapy.  Everything they say makes so much sense and I am not only seeing but feeling the difference in how my legs, abs, and back feel.   My what was feeling like constant lower back pain has improved so much- it's only occasional now and I have some methods to help it.


Like this
 It's also intriguing how lately people feel the need to give me lots of advice on how to magically help me with my flared tennis elbow.  Over the past 1+ year of dealing with this tennis elbow I assure you I have read everything I can.  Just because you read something on the internet doens't mean you are an expert on recovery of an injury.  yeargghh!!  /end rant

So yeah...I guess you figured out my tennis elbow is flaring again.  SIGH.  After a long discussion with my physical therapist to try to see if there was a trigger that casued it to come back, she identified a possible issue being moving from my full body strength training to a more machine based workout I've been doing with Upinder.  Hmmm....so lifting heavy is supposed to be the "cure all" for tennis elbow, huh?  Yeargh, yeah no. Well, I haven't been lifting heavy as a friend told me I MUST do because supposedly it is the only way to fix my injury (BULL CRAP).  But, I have been lifting on mostly machines which I've never focused on before and don't really like.  Initially it was feeling better and not causing any pain but Barb thinks moving away from full body movements could have further inhibited my progress in healing.  She's suggesting seeing the sports med doc again and getting MRIs of both elbows.  We will see....


Have you ever struggled with a sports injury?  What injury was it and how did you deal with it?

6 comments:

  1. No sports injury that I can think of, but (MORE ADVICE), do you think it could be the elliptical? I do get a little uncomfortable in the shoulder or elbow sometimes with the arc trainer. I'm sure you haven't put 2 and 2 together on that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you haven't had issues with injuries! Since the elliptical was recommended by the physical therapists, I don't think it could be possibly causing any issues- but I will bring that up just in case ;)

      thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I always found physical therapy helpful too. I first used a foam roller at physical therapy and then bought one to use at home. It really helps! I also know what you mean about people thinking they know the best advice for you with an injury or problem that you've had for a while. I've been dealing with my knee/leg problem for over 1 year now and get random advice! still figuring it out. -Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I ever gave you unsolicited/pressured advice, I really understand how frustrating that can be now!

      I don't mind tips and random advice in general- it's when people insist they know better than you and/or your doctors and physical therapists that really frustrats me personally.

      Also glad the foam roller has helped you, too- it's a wonderful piece of recovery equipment!

      Delete
  3. Silly Ding. Gotta love that little, furry orange ball of terror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yeah indeedy. He is both wonderful and terrible at different times- and sometimes the same time lol

      Delete