Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Soul Soaring Ride

As I struggle with this hamstring/hip injury, I am trying to keep myself from going crazy with some other things I enjoy- namely horseback riding.  I've loved horses since I can remember and have been seriously riding since I was 10 years old.


Dancer and I on the trail at Fair Hill
 
I took Friday and Saturday as rest days after some pretty bad hip pain Thursday night after my elliptical and upper body/abs strength training workout.  I wanted to try to ensure I could enjoy a nice ride with my mom on Sunday.  Especially since it was going to be replacing my original plan for September 9th....the Harrisburg Half Marathon. waaa waaaa.

Ok, I know I've been really down about not being able to do this race but....it sucks to work really hard for a goal and not be able to complete it because your legs just can't cut it. grrrr.

Moving on....my ride was AMAZING.  It was exactly what I needed to take my mind off the fact that all my running friends were racing.  PS- they all rocked it out, so proud!  Way to go Ashley, Emily and Mary! :D



Dancer and I taking in the scenery before we tore across the field
  It's days like Sunday that I feel so blessed to have my mom with us to share the joy of horseback riding with.  It wasn't long ago that we were worried she wouldn't make it home from the hospital.   Now it's been more than 3 years and although it's a constant battle- she's fighting and I'm so grateful.



My mom with her ever vibrant smiley on Piney
  Mom always encourages me to get my run on whenever we are riding because she knows that's what I really love.   It makes my soul soar, plain and simple. There is something about feeling the power of a 1000lb animal beneath you and knowing that you are in control that is invigorating and slightly intoxicating.  And then there is the added adrenaline because at the same time you know it's kinda dangerous and unpredictable as well.  For an adrenaline junky like me, it's the perfect combination! 


I had no idea my mom was taking pictures- and she captured this moment trotting along the woods.
 Lucky for me, my mom was in a "let's take pictures" mood last weekend (these pictures are all from labor day weekend).  She said it was because I looked too nice in my new (so small I can't believe my eyes at the tag!) breeches and pretty top to not capture forever. Awwww moms know just what to say! :)  


Isn't he so handsome?!   Love Dancer to pieces! :)


What is your favorite outdoor activity?  Although I talk a lot about loving to run- I will always love horseback riding more, sorry!  Horses are my first and strongest passion and I would work with horses as my job every day if I could make a decent living that way.   So what do you like to do outside? 

3 comments:

  1. I have NEVER been on a horse or a pony for that matter! I would love to try it, though. I love walking outside. I wish I did more leisurely walks and enjoyed the scenery more, instead of constantly looking at my speed! Maybe I'll add a stroll now and again to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SO amazing Colleen!!! I'm sorry about your pain. I hope it goes away soon and you can go back to doing what you love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...after all these years, I'd still have to say playing baseball is probably my favorite activity to do outside, even though I haven't done that in forever ago! Sometimes growing up sucks, hehe.

    ReplyDelete